About Cathx Ocean
Cathx Ocean are world leaders in Underwater Optical Imaging systems for machine learning. We have developed the world’s first built for purpose Subsea Imaging system, resolving most of the technical constraints with optical imaging underwater. These systems allow data to be collected in one tenth of the time taken with traditional imaging systems and also provide the data on which the Cathx Machine Learning hardware platform will be built. We are now planning to build and release a full suite of subsea applications and technologies to deliver efficiency and precision to a range of underwater operations.
Our customers operate in a diverse number of markets including Offshore Oil and Gas, Subsea Cables, Renewable energy, Deep water search and Salvage, Oceanographic and Subsea Archaeology. We are changing how they see underwater and how image and measurement data can be converted to reliable and actionable information.
About the role
We are seeking an enthusiastic and experienced Embedded Software Developer to join our experienced software design team. You will report directly to the R&D Manager and assist with all functions of the software design cycle. Your primary focus will be to gain knowledge on the existing codebases to continue development, as well as be centrally involved in the scoping, design, and implementation of new projects.
You will contribute to the advancement of the current offering of products which include ARM based embedded software, Linux/Windows based data processing applications and occasionally Windows based User Interfaces. You will also be required to respond to requests from customer support and the QA team.
You will work as part of a team which is currently located in our Naas offices.
The successful candidate will:
- Be a professionally minded Software Engineer who can operate at a high level of demand in a complex Engineering Environment
- Have excellent written and verbal communications skills and be able to communicate Engineering issues in a clear and concise manner
- Be naturally methodical in their approach to problem solving and capable of operating with a large degree of independence
- Be passionate about building world class products
- Have strong practical skills and be comfortable working in a hands-on environment in a multi-discipline team
Key Responsibilities of the role
- Participate in full software development lifecycle, including requirements gathering, design, implementation, testing and operations
- C/C++ software development targeted at a variety of embedded platforms, both bare metal and embedded Linux
- Support/maintain existing software and embedded products including occasional interaction with customers for the purposes of providing support
- Assist in the generation of tests for the QA team
- Respond to requests from customer support staff
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time
- Minimum of level 8 in computer science, engineering, or related discipline
- 4 years+ software/firmware development experience using C/C++, C#, .NET or Python
- Experience configuring and programming embedded microprocessors and microcontrollers
- Excellent knowledge of C and C++11 or later is essential
- Good knowledge of electronics and hardware components
- Capable of using instrumentation such as oscilloscopes, signal generators, etc
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience with issue tracking system such as JIRA
- Experience with source control platforms such as GIT
- Develop creative solutions to challenging problems
- Excellent communication skills
Familiarity with the following is not required but would be advantageous:
- Familiarity with Uboot, Buildroot, Yocto, and serial communication buses
- Clock synchronisation methods such as NTP & PTP
- Image processing algorithms and/or use of OpenCV
- An interest in pursuing machine learning development
Remuneration and Benefits
The company offers a very competitive salary and benefits package based on market rates, which includes a generous annual leave entitlement, contributory pension, benefits allowance, flexible start & finish times, death in service assurance and PHI.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please forward your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org